Mary Isaac, Landlady of the Windsor Arms, Bradiford until 1911
- from: Martin.Haddrill
- uploaded: Jan 30, 2013
- Hits: 6034
Mary Isaac was landlady at the Windsor Arms in Bradiford from an unknown date until 1911. She was the grandmother of Beryl Foster of Pilton. Mary's husband, John Paddon Isaac, had a horse and carriage at the time and he used to be located on The Square in Barnstaple for fares.
They had 11 children but the three in the middle either died or were stillborn so there were really two families of four. Mary Isaac died soon after she was 50 which left her four youngest children and husband John needing to be looked after. Beryl Foster's mother (one of the older four children) came home from London to nurse her mother and never left her father, three younger brothers and one younger sister – as a result of a promise she made to Mary, her mother, on her deathbed.
Two of the boys went into apprenticeships and one joined the navy. The girl, Gwen Isaac, was Andrew and Geoffrey Challacombe’s mother. She went on to be a Nanny for Dr. Harper in Boutport Street, opposite the Green Lanes complex, in the house which is now a nursery school.
Thanks to Beryl Foster for this information and the photograph.